“In the animal world, the first thing that bitch does when her pups are born, is licking them from heads to toes. Her tongue provides them with an initial picture of themselves. In addition, if the litter consists of few puppies that constantly rub against each other, trying first steps, every millimeter of their bodies absorbs further knowledge about what they are and how they function. This enhances the formation of their overall self-image ”
quoted Ruthy Alon
On 17 of March, we took apart in workshops “Relaxing massage for dogs” held by the 4 Paws Academy in Warsaw. It was massage modeled on Shantal’s massage.
It contains the basic blocks of building bond between caregiver and his pet. The dog discovers that a man can be sensitive and delicate, gets to know his body, learns to relax tense muscles. The benefit for the owners is a great opportunity to come into contact with a dog: get to know him, his reactions, the threshold of sensitivity as well as to recognize the states of tension and relaxation. That new valuable skill of appropriate response to stressful situations becomes a permanent part of dog’s defense arsenal. The ability of conscious relaxation is very useful if it comes to managing various stresses.
Touching is contact. For human and animal touch is important in life. It restores confidence, brings warmth, pleasure, comfort, renewes life forces. It tells us that we are not alone.
During the workshop we learned comprehensive canine massage – chest, abdomen, legs, snout, tail, back and ears. Massaging specific areas of the body has multiple effects:
– Chest Massage: a positive effect on the lungs’ work, stimulation of the heart, stimulates circulation, relaxes
– Abdominal massage: stimulates digestion system, improves the operation of the intestine
– Massage of the forelimb: eliminates muscular tension, relaxes joints, stimulates circulation, relaxes
– Massage hind limb: eliminates tension, loosens the joints, stimulates circulation, strengthens bones,
– Massage of the spine + tail: strengthens back muscles, reduces tension in the neck, back and rump, relaxes
– Massage of the muzzle + ears: releases tension, increases blood circulation, reduces headaches, soothes, relaxes
It is worth to mention another positive effect of massage – I assure you that the benefits of it (in the form of calmness and relaxation) also applies to the massage giver.
The workshop was an unforgettable experience, pictures below.
Just after that we decided to try the technique on a variety of puppies in a different phase of the critical period of development. Here are photos and video:
Jedną rzecz wiem na pewno. Masaż na stałe zagości w programie socjalizacyjnym szczeniąt naszych Australijskich Labradoodle.
Professional Australian Labradoodle Kennel in Poland